If you're losing hair or going bald, you're probably one of thousands of people dealing with DHT, dihydrotestosterone, the main cause of balding. But a DHT-blocking shampoo can help.
To learn a little more about DHT and the potential benefits of the best DHT blocking shampoo, contact usMiss Michel Green, a New York City-based cosmetic dermatologist, for her expertise.
Read on for answers to the most commonly asked questions about DHT and hair loss, followed by some of oursFavorite hair loss products.
What is DHT?
DHT, or dihydrotestosterone, is a hormone naturally produced by both men and women and is responsible for most male traits, such as facial and body hair, when present in high levels, Dr. Verde to SPY. "DHT is a by-product of the conversion of testosterone by the 5-alpha-reductase enzyme on its way through the body."
How is DHT related to baldness and hair loss?
DHT interferes with hair growth by binding to hair follicles and disrupting active growth, or the anagen phase. "DHT can bind to receptors present in hair follicles, causing them to shrink over time and preventing active hair growth," said Dr. Verde. “By stopping hair growth in the active growth phase, the hair is in a longer resting phase than normal. This prolonged rest period causes gradual hair loss, leading to excessive shedding and possibly even balding.”
What are DHT blockers?
“DHT blockers work by preventing DHT from binding to receptors on hair follicles. This prevents the hair follicles from shrinking and allows the hair to go through the growth cycle as it naturally should," said Dr. Verde.
- (Video) How To Reverse Hair Loss | Treatment, DHT Blocking Shampoo, Medication
The 8 best bald shavers for 2023, tested and rated by a bald guy
Reviewed: Does Nutrafol Work For Men? Here are my results after 3 months.
What ingredients claim to block DHT?
Before we get into the ingredients, a disclaimer: everything we'll list below has been linked to increased hair growth by at least one study (though not always in humans) and a multitude of anecdotal evidence or clinics.
However, none of them have been extensively studied, and the studies that do exist are often small or not conducted in a way that scientists can conclusively link a particular ingredient to hair growth. Oftentimes, the ingredients are also being explored as dietary supplements rather than topical treatments. So while many of the following ingredients may help block DHT and promote hair growth, science cannot say for sure.
- saw palmetto: Sametwo-year studyshowed that saw palmetto supplements promoted hair growth, although they were not as effective as finasteride (and much more saw palmetto was needed). dr Green also mentioned saw palmetto as one of the few treatments known to promote hair growth, along with finasteride.
- Ketoconazole: Ketoconazole, an antifungal, is known to help with dandruff and scalp infections. Some evidence also suggests that ketoconazole promotes hair follicle growth at some levelcomparable to Minoxidiland alsostops the formation of DHT.
- pumpkin seed oil: Adouble-blind studyshowed how a pumpkin seed oil supplement promotes hair growth in part due to its putative role in disrupting DHT.
- Caffeine:a small studiosuggested that caffeine helps lengthen hair, increases hair growth time, and aids in the development of keratin in hair. However, caffeine has not been shown to actively combat hair loss, including hair loss due to DHT.
- greenTee:A study in micefound that mice consuming green tea in their drinking water showed “significant hair regrowth” over a six-month period of treatment.
- Pygeum: Pygeum, derived from the African cherry tree, addedprovenSlightly effective in the treatment of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), a condition that occurs through the same reaction that causes DHT. This suggests that it could be a possible treatment for hair loss.
- Rosemary Extract:A study with miceHe used rosemary oil topically and found that it greatly inhibited the process that leads to the formation of DHT.
- return: Like Pygeum,A studyStinging nettle has been shown to be effective in treating BPH-related symptoms, leading some to hypothesize that it may help block DHT. However,A studyBy comparing finasteride to supplements containing nettle and saw palmetto, he found that the supplements had no inhibitory effect on DHT.
Now that we know what DHT is, how it causes hair loss, and what ingredients to look for, we have a note from Dr. Verde before we dive into the best DHT blocking shampoos. We wanted to know what you think about DHT blocking shampoos and how effective they are.
The truth about DHT blocking shampoo
While many shampoos claim to block DHT and some can promote hair growth by improving blood flow to the scalp and overall scalp health, she doesn't believe a shampoo that claims the benefits of DHT is effective, saying:"There is no true DHT blocking shampoo on the market."(Emphasis added.)
This means that you should be extremely skeptical of the big claims made by manyAnti-hair loss shampoos.
So if you are suffering from hair loss, you should think about itProven treatments for hair lossfor use with or in place of DHT-blocking shampoos, as there is little evidence of topical efficacy.
Best DHT Blocking Shampoo for Hair Loss
Now that you're fully informed, check out some of the most popular DHT blockers and hair loss shampoos below. While experts are skeptical that the best DHT-blocking shampoos work as advertised, we know some men with thinning hair who swear by these hair loss products. Every shampoo contains some of the ingredients mentioned above.
As with any new health product, we recommend consulting your doctor before trying anything new. If you're desperate to change your hair loss, you should work with a hair loss specialist anyway.
1. Pura d'Or Anti-Schuppen-Shampoo
ÖPura d'Or shampoo against thinning hairhas long been a favorite of SPY for its exceptional stash of DHT blocking ingredients. If there's an ingredient that claims to block DHT and/or promote hair growth, you'll find it in this shampoo, which contains saw palmetto, nettle extract, rosemary, pygeum, pumpkin seeds, green tea, and at least a dozen others. . If you are looking for the best DHT blocking shampoo, no other shampoo has as many DHT blocking ingredients as Pura d'Or Shampoo.
2. Hims Verdickungsshampoo
For persistent hair loss, sign up for Hims Thickening Shampoo every one to three months. Powered by Saw Palmetto to curb hair loss, this shampoo also promises to thicken and moisturize existing hair to kick-start its growth. Also, the great thing about this option is that you can opt-inYour finasteridemiMinoxidil partfor a full frontal assault on your bald spots.
3. Botanical Green Care Gegen Refreshment Shampoo
If Pura D'Or has the most DHT-blocking ingredients, Botanical Green Care Hair Loss Therapy Thickening Shampoo should come second. This shampoo is packed with saw palmetto, nettle extract, green tea extract, pumpkin seed oil, rosemary oil, and caffeine among other anecdotally supported DHT blockers. But aside from the DHT blockers, it's just a good shampoo with lots of other great cleansing and moisturizing ingredients.
4. Hair Restoration Laboratories Professional Strength Haarwiederherstellungs-Shampoo
Hair Restoration Laboratories Professional Strength Hair Restoration Shampoo contains the necessary DHT blocking ingredients to slow hair fall and promote hair growth. Pumpkin Seed Oil, Caffeine, Pygeum, Green Tea Extract, Saw Palmetto, Ketoconazole and more work together to try to block DHT while cleansing your hair and scalp.
5. Store thickening shampoo for men
BETTER WITH DOCTOR
Not only is Keeps a great DHT blocking shampoo, Keeps thickening shampoo for men, but it also connects you to a doctor when you check in to ensure you have a professional by your side to guide you through your hair growth process. Green Tea and Saw Palmetto fight DHT, while Caffeine and Biotin ensure hair is as strong as possible.
6. Shiny Leaves Biotin-Shampoo
While Shiny Leaf Biotin Shampoo doesn't contain as many DHT blocking ingredients as other shampoos, it's a lot cheaper and still contains some DHT blockers that are known to work, like saw palmetto and green tea extract. Biotin doesn't block DHT on its own, but it strengthens hair and combines well with actual DHT-blocking ingredients to give you thicker, fuller hair over time.
The Best Anti Aging Products for Men in 2021